Tuesday 9 August 2016

Scraptastic Sampler 2016 - Block 1 Hovering Hawks and August Link Up

Scraptastic Tuesday





I have actually started my new scraptastic sampler quilt.  I am really quite excited about it, perhaps because I have chosen to use some Karen Lewis Textiles that I have in my stash and solids! 

Karen is bringing out a new line in the autumn of her lovely designs in coloured ink on white.  I already have a few that she has screen printed by hand so am pleased to find that yardage will be available soon. 

 

Last week I cut out the alternate squares and put them up on my design wall.  I thought it would be fun to fill in the blank squares each week.

I decided to start from the middle of the quilt with the two Hovering Hawk blocks.   Here is the block when not on point...it looks quite different doesn't it?


 Hovering Hawks



The block has a four x four grid, that means it can be divided into four equal parts across each row and down each column. 

This is a 12" finished quilt block (unfinished 12 1/2") so each square /HST measures 3" finished (unfinished 3 1/2").


Cutting requirements for one block

Six 3.5" squares: two white, four teal
For HSTs - made with ten 4" squares: five teal, three purple and two turquoise squares

Pair each purple and turquoise square with one of the teal squares and make HSTs using your favourite method.  Each pair of squares will yield two HSTs.

Trim each HST to 3 1/2" square.

Arrange squares/HSTS as in block diagram above.

Stitch together in horizontal rows as below...



Press seams within the row in alternate directions - row 1 to the left, row 2 to the right etc.

To join rows, nest the seams together, pinning if necessary and stitch. When completed press.

Make second block.

In case you have chosen a different colourway here is a blank version of the whole quilt for you to download and play with your own colours.  





On the above version I have labelled the Hovering Hawks blocks as I find them quite difficult to identify without the colours even though I am quite familiar with them.

And here are my finished blocks on the design wall 














So, now is the part where you share your scrappy projects, plans and ideas. First, our fantastic sponsors:
A huge thank you to our generous sponsors for providing the following prizes which will be awarded randomly among those of you who link up.

Please join Leanne from She Can Quilt and I by linking up a blog post or flickr or instagram photo sharing a scrappy project, in progress or finished, or your thoughts on dealing with your scrap mountain:
  • You don't have to have joined us before, everyone is welcome.
  • One link per person, and it will be your entry into the random draw for the prizes. It is the same link up here and at Leanne's blog - She Can Quilt - so you only need to link up on one of our blogs.
  • This link is to share with our community about using your scraps, please don't use it to advertise your own products or events.
  • You can link up from your blog, instagram or flickr, but you have to link up to be entered in the prize draw.
  • Please visit at least a few of the links, they are very inspiring, and leave comments too as everyone loves to connect.
  • Use the Scraptastic Tuesday button and invite your friends to join us too. Please share our button, or a link or the hashtag #scraptastictuesday in your linked post or photo.
  • The link is open until next Monday night at 10:00 pm MST. We will announce the winners next Tuesday.
  • If you have trouble linking up, let me or Leanne know and we will get you sorted.

9 comments:

  1. This looks great Nicky ... wish I wasn't so far behind with everything because I would love to sew along to this - will bookmark for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right! On point gives Hovering Hawks a totally different look. The four colors of fabrics and the way you have used them in the block adds to the different look also. And it's a splendid look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nicky for the quilt a long and the link up. Your block is so lovely in those colours. Hopping to my stash to see what works for me. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a lovely sampler, I plan to sew along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so talented!! I love your blocks, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is looking great already, can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the blocks with that alternate fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for hosting, Nicky. your new sampler quilt looks really interesting - love those blocks on point ! I'm looking forward to KL's new line too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hovering hawks on point is a striking! Thank you for hosting the link party!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...