Tuesday 19 April 2016

Scraptastic Tuesday winners in April


Scraptastic Tuesday

My scrappy hexy, square and triangle from last week have been handed over to my lovely Stingy bee mate Catherine,  who will add a square and a triangle before passing the lot onto Di in July.  

I have carried on scrapping this week...

At the end of last quarter I couldn't find these blocks,  which I received in a swap about three years ago!  (It is still going on here on Flickr, now with a colour theme for the outer square, in case you want to join in - it would be a great way to make this quilt with lots of variety!)  


I had been thinking I would just put them together to make a quick wall hanging before that FAL deadline.





And now I'm really glad I only found them recently, when looking for something else!  Isn't that always the way?

I quickly made about 20 more and was planning to carry on till I had a quilt full. 


Then I was considering different layouts, which would mean I could make fewer, and posted on IG about adding an alternate square which would mean a quicker finish - only about 80 more to make....still a lot right?  




Rainbow colours were mentioned so I started organising the blocks in their outer square colours on a diagonal line!  Next I added a wonky little snowball block using a whole heap of scrappy triangles - off cuts from making other blocks (really scrappy right?)  Loved it but not enough to make eighty more blocks.

I decided I had made enough and went for a modern look with just 41 blocks and lots of negative space.  A real 'less is more feel'!  

It all came together like this!  




I think you can see all those cute fussy cut economy blocks so much better with this arrangement and so I have another quilt top ready for quilting for #siblingstogether.  I hope some youngster will have fun looking at all those strange little snippet squares without thinking it too babyish...

More about the campaign to make 100 quilts for Siblings Together can be found here.



In the meantime,  let us thank our lovely sponsors, and award the prizes for the April Scraptastic Tuesday Link.



A huge thank you to our generous sponsors for providing the following prizes which will be awarded randomly among those of you who link up.
We will be emailing all of the winners shortly. Thank you for sharing your April scrappy inspiration and please plan to join Leanne from She Can Quilt and I again on the second Tuesday in May 10 - for the next Scraptastic Tuesday link.

By the way, if you are looking for some scrappy inspiration, a visit to the links is worth your time.

5 comments:

  1. Adding the snowballs made your squares into stars! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quilt is so wonderful, the way you turned such a traditional block into sparkling stars in a modern setting is so inspirational, you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that you can see the fussy cuts so much better this way - really nice to read how this quilt came about - it's very nice !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful blocks and I love your setting. I'm not a low volume quilter but I do love this and so will the lucky recipient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is stunning! What a great way to use those blocks!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...