Tuesday 11 August 2015

Scraptastic Tuesday - August Link up


Scraptastic Tuesday

It's the second Tuesday of the month, and time for the Scraptastic Tuesday link up hosted by Leanne at She Can Quilt and me.

I have started yet another project !  Oh dear !   

But it has been prompted by joining a new bee: the Stitch Tease Bee.  How could I refuse ?  I know several of the participants and will be delighted to get to know the rest.

I am first up to share my request and it has been an idea I have had for a while - ever since we went on holiday to the south of Spain and visited the Alhambra palace complex, which was built when Grenada was ruled by the Nasrid Sultans.  

First I made a massive big fabric pull of all orange colours from orangey-red through to pale peach;  then added a bit of mustard through to citron and lighter shades of yellow; with a bit of cobalt blue, teal and aqua for contrast.  I picked off-white, creamy, light grey Low Volume for background if needed.  All my fabrics are tone on tone (my favourites to work with) or have the colour scheme I'm working with in them - for example one dark blue AGF fabric has elements of peach in it.  





I have even found a few fabrics printed with a geometric pattern to suit - some older Robert Kaufman and some I bought last week at the Festival of Quilts Show, some cotton + steel, some by Karen Lewis and Carolyn Friedlander.







I have made several different blocks as suggestions of the sort of thing I'm looking for - lots of eight pointed stars and tile like blocks - just like the Islamic art seen at the Alhambra.  




I am asking my bee mates to choose block(s) to make for me, rather than saying I'd like two of these please: either something I have made; something from my Pinterest board; or something they have found and wish to make.  

I don't mind how they make them, nor what size the blocks are up to a maximum of 12".   I am also happy with one beautiful block as we know some methods take longer than others. 

I have made a similar request before in my lovely Stingy Bee and my Nordik quilt (still to be finished) has been the result which I love and will finish off in time for this winter!

I am looking forward to seeing what I will receive!   But I am Queen Bee in September not August so I'm giving my bee mates a bit of extra thinking time.

So what is scrappy about that?.....I hear you ask!

Well this is!





Tiny diamonds or parallelograms (for you Helen and other mathematical souls) - each side is 1" finished.   My little panel when sewn up and framed in a bit of background ended up as 12.5" x 6.25" and not that difficult as they were machine stitched in diagonal rows ...

All my blocks so far with my diamond scrappy panel stitched together....





 I shall try to resist making more!  



Now, its time for you to link up and share your scrappy projects to inspire us all.



A huge thank you to our generous sponsors for providing the following prizes which will be awarded randomly among those of you who link up:
  • Massdrop - 2 Mixology Fat Quarter Bundles - so two prizes
Please join  Leanne at She Can Quilt  and I by linking up a blog post or flickr or instagram photo sharing a scrappy project, in progress or finished, or your thoughts on dealing with your scrap mountain:
  • You don't have to have joined us before, everyone is welcome.
  • One link per person, and it will be your entry into the random draw for the prizes. It is the same link up here and at Leanne's blog at She Can Quilt  - so you only need to link up on one of our blogs.
  • Please visit at least a few of the links, they are very inspiring, and leave comments too as everyone loves to connect. 
  • Use the Scraptastic Tuesday button if you like (code is on the sidebar) and invite your friends to join us too. 
  • The link is open until next Monday night at 10:00 pm MST(canadian time). We will announce the winners next Tuesday. 
  • If you have trouble linking up, let Leanne or me know and we will get you sorted.
Despite her recent move I see Leanne has been doing some scrappy stitching.....you should check it out and encourage her in her unpacking - she has a lot of stuff!



11 comments:

  1. I am linking you to my post from yesterday where I show several scrappy quilts that I am working on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your new project looks fantastic. Love the block patterns and your fabrics.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good lady, can't beat a bit of tiny stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those diamonds, what a border they would make, I am thinking of my scrappy liberty medallion? Maybe a bit bigger? I love your bee blocks and they will be scrappy if not made from scraps, given all those beautiful fabrics you pulled. And yes, I have a lot of stuff, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I loved everything I saw on your Pinterest board. That will be one yummy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah - now I know what you're up to! Love the colours

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your new projects are fabulous and love your fabric combo.Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love all your projects - the scrappy wall is the best - look at all those fabulous colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks again for the link-up. So much fun to see all the different scrappy work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's going to be a great patchwork

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the blocks and the colour scheme!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...